Hypertext narrative : My Career in Science
My Career in Science.
Word count: 2360
Choice count: 58
Section count: 34
Image count: 34
Error count: 0
Field Related Analysis:
Nursing : 30 matches (acid, anatomy, body, compensation, complex, crisis, culture, Doctor, environment, foot, formula, insane, general practitioner, heart, heart attack, hospital, injuries, medical, medicine, multiple, neck, practitioner, population, position, section, stress, superior, toxic, virus, vomiting)
Psychology : 23 matches (acid, compensation, complex, culture, dream, drive, environment, F1, family, harassment, interview, language, learning, love, need, population, race, sexual harassment, stress, superior, thinking, toxic, virus)
Education : 22 matches (Education, School, academy, choice, college, compensation, continuing, degree, exam, first, general, goal, head, learn, learning, market, school, second language, student, training, undergraduate, university)
Target Structure:
a foot in the door (1 match)
compensation package (2 matches)
drudgery (1 match)
flirtation (1 match)
fulfillment (1 match)
getting sucked up in (1 match)
hinder (1 match)
invaluable (1 match)
misconduct (1 match)
more often than not (1 match)
office politics (2 matches)
on-the-job-training (1 match)
overtime (2 matches)
pension (2 matches)
premium wage (3 matches)
retirement (11 matches)
sexual harassment (2 matches)
straight A's (1 match)
the drive of work (1 match)
undermine (1 match)
wage (4 matches)
My Career in Science.
The Beginning of it all.
I am currently studying in Science at Montmorency College in Laval. I have worked extremely hard in the last two years to achieve straight A's. However, I need to choose between two schools in Montreal that interest me a lot.
Choice 1 : Apply to McGill University.
Choice 2 : Apply to Montreal University.

Apply to McGill University.
In what program should I apply?
Choice 1 : Apply in engineering at McGill University.
Choice 2 : Apply in Medicine at McGill University.
Apply to Montreal University.
In what program should I apply?
Choice 1 : Apply in Medicine at Montreal University.
Choice 2 : Apply in Mechanical Engineering at McGill University.
Apply in Mechanical Engineering at McGill University.
After earning my undergraduate degree and incidentally learning scientific English well, I have to choose between entering the job market directly, in an Engineering firm my father has a foot in the door with, or continue my studies in Aerodynamics at the Formula Academy in London, UK.
Choice 1 : Work for the engineering firm.
Choice 2 : Travel to London to go to the Formula Academy.
Apply in Medicine at McGill University.
Unfortunately, my application has not been accepted in Medicine at McGill because the interview did not go well. I am not that surprised, but I am also happy to not have to learn complex medical terms in my second language. I must now consider my other choices.
Choice 1 : The Beginning of it all.
Apply in Medicine at Montreal University.
I have been accepted! After some long years of studying and on-the-job-training in multiple hospitals, I am finally ready to enter the job market, as a general practitioner. I have to choose between working at the CHUM in Montreal, close to my family, or accepting an offer I received from Doctors without Borders to go help with the humanitarian crisis in Nigeria.
Choice 1 : Work at the CHUM in Montreal.
Choice 2 : Travel to Nigeria to work for Doctors Without Borders.
Apply in Mechanical Engineering at Montreal University.
After four years of hard work, I was caught cheating in my final exam! The school kicked me out of their program, and I am now without significant superior education. I unfortunately can not re-apply at Montreal University. I can try to apply at McGill, or work in a chemical factory my friend already works at.
Choice 1 : Apply to McGill University.
Choice 2 : Work in the chemical factory.
Work in the chemical factory.
I accidentally drank acid thinking it was water and died.
Choice 1 : The Beginning of it all.
Work at the CHUM in Montreal.
I decided to stay in Montreal. During my first year, I met another doctor called Marie at the CHUM. The drudgery of being a doctor could not keep me from coming back to the hospital every day to see her. One day, I finally decided to ask her out. She said yes! Where should we go?
Choice 1 : Go to the movies.
Choice 2 : Go to the climbing center.
Travel to Nigeria to work for Doctors Without Borders.
Upon arriving in Nigeria, I am informed that a deadly virus is currently spreading. Otherwise, this job has left me with an invaluable feeling of fulfillment! On my second day of on-the-job training, I encounter a man suffering from a cardiac arrest. I must give him the mouth-to-mouth if I want him to survive.
Choice 1 : Save his life.
Choice 2 : Refuse because I am scared of contracting the virus.
Save his life.
I have successfully saved my first life! Unfortunately, I start to feel ill later that week, and other doctors inform me that I have contracted the virus. After several days of vomiting and diarrhea, I experience my last breath and die while trying to help others.
Choice 1 : The Beginning of it all.
Refuse because I am scared of contracting the virus.
Because I let a person die, the population of the village is very hostile towards me. I am beginning to be scared of what they could do to me. I am thinking about coming back to Canada and accept the job at the CHUM.
Choice 1 : Work at the CHUM in Montreal.
Choice 2 : Stay in Nigeria.
Stay in Nigeria.
My fears were fortunately not founded. Even if they were frustrated, the people of the village have forgiven me and thanked me for helping them. After working five years in Nigeria, I meet a woman named Rosa. We start having a romantic relationship, and after a couple months, we know that we are meant for each other. She wants to marry me. I now have to choose between marrying her and building my life in Nigeria, or returning to Canada to build my family there, and incidentally working at the CHUM in Montreal.
Choice 1 : Work at the CHUM in Montreal.
Choice 2 : Marry Rosa.
Marry Rosa.
I marry Rosa, and we have two kids while living in Africa. Later, I am promoted to Coordinator of Operations in Africa for Doctors without Borders, and we move to Lagos. I have an illustrious career, travelling all across Africa, and I ultimately retire at 60 years old. We decide to spend our retirement in the village which first welcomed me and Rosa.
Choice 1 : The Beginning of it all.
Work for the engineering firm.
I decide to go work for this engineering firm. In my first year, I rapidly realise that this company has a serious sexual harassment problem. My boss can not stop pestering my female coworkers. What should I do?
Choice 1 : Tell my boss to stop.
Choice 2 : Do nothing and hope it will stop.
Travel to London to go to the Formula Academy.
I am the most successful student in the Formula program! Several F1 teams want me to go work for their aerodynamics engineering section. Which offer should I accept?
Choice 1 : Accept Ferrari's offer.
Choice 2 : Accept McLaren's offer.
Choice 3 : Accept Mercedes-Benz's offer.
Accept Ferrari's offer.
I am now employed in the beautiful country that Italy is! What they did not tell us when engaging in this team, is that more often than not, the drive of work is insane! I work overtime every weekend to support the race team, but I love it! The only downside to this job is the office politics. Because I am not Italian, some of my colleagues are always trying to undermine me or hinder me in some kind of way. I have been thinking about telling it to my superior. What should I do?
Choice 1 : Tell it to the team chief.
Choice 2 : Continue my hard work.
Accept McLaren's offer.
I was very unlucky. The year I arrived, McLaren started to struggle financially. I was unfortunately laid off later that year, as the team was beginning to fall apart. Ferrari still offered me the job, but I knew the safer option was to go back to Canada to go work for the engineering firm. Also, I knew I could still go to university.
Choice 1 : Accept Ferrari's offer.
Choice 2 : Work for the engineering firm.
Choice 3 : Apply to Montreal University.
Accept Mercedes-Benz's offer.
After years of intense work for the German team, including a lot of overtime and dedication, I was offered a position with premium wage on the travelling race team. However, I really like my present work environment. What should I do?
Choice 1 : Continue working at the factory.
Choice 2 : Accept the offer to work for the travelling team.
Tell it to the team chief.
I finally gained the courage to go tell it to my boss. He told me it was the least of his problems and fired me, without a compensation package! Fortunately, I still have an offer pending from Mercedes-Benz. Also, I could avoid getting sucked up in another toxic situation like this one by coming back to Canada to work for the engineering firm.
Choice 1 : Accept Mercedes-Benz's offer.
Choice 2 : Work for the engineering firm.
Continue my hard work.
Continuing to work hard and ignoring office politics finally paid off! I was promoted to Chief Engineer of the team! I now receive a premium wage for working my dream job! After 30 years of success and world championships, I started to think about retirement. I really wanted to come back to Canada to enjoy my pension in a cozy cabin besides a lake, closer to my family. Also, I could afford a home in the Italian countryside to stay close to my passion that is racing.
Choice 1 : Come back to Canada to live in a cabin.
Choice 2 : Buy this dream home in Italy.
Come back to Canada to live in a cabin.
I now enjoy my retirement in Quebec, close to my family. I have them visit me whenever they want. My huge pension lets me have an extremely comfortable retirement. This really was the right choice.
Choice 1 : The Beginning of it all.
Buy this dream home in Italy.
I now enjoy my retirement close to the friends I have made along the way and close to many race tracks. I can go to many races whenever I want. I really love this retirement I have built for myself.
Choice 1 : The Beginning of it all.
Continue working at the factory.
I am happy with the choice I made. My work is less stressful. However, even if I did not accept the offer to work for the travelling team, I decided to change departments to go work for the powertrain department. While working on our new engine, I accidentally created a sparkle that made it explode! I eventually died of my injuries.
Choice 1 : The Beginning of it all.
Accept the offer to work for the travelling team.
I love my new job! I travel all around the world to help my team win the championship! The thing I like the most is that we have two or three days free every week to visit the country we are in. However, after many years and a lot of success, my body is physically tired from the constant travelling and the inevitable stress. I am beginning to think about retirement, either in a cabin in Canada, or in a beautiful home in the Italian countryside that could keep me close to the racing culture. I am also thinking about continuing working at my current job.
Choice 1 : Come back to Canada to live in a cabin.
Choice 2 : Buy this dream home in Italy.
Choice 3 : Continue doing this stressful job.
Continue doing this stressful job.
The stressful work finally caught to me. In an especially stressful moment while working in the paddock in Brazil, my heart gave up. I died of a heart attack.
Choice 1 : The Beginning of it all.
Go to the movies.
We had a great time! We started to go out even more often, until we finally were going out together. It was a real Grey's Anatomy moment! We saw each other every day at the hospital and our relation became very strong. We now wanted to move in together. Should we buy a condo in downtown Montreal or a cottage in the suburbs?
Choice 1 : Buy that beautiful high rise condo in Montreal.
Choice 2 : Buy a house in the suburbs.
Go to the climbing center.
On my first climb, I forgot about my harness and slipped off the wall! I landed on my head, cracked my neck and died instantly. Marie was traumatized.
Choice 1 : The Beginning of it all.
Buy that beautiful high rise condo in Montreal.
Because we lived in the city, we decided not to have kids. It permitted us to concentrate on our jobs, and we both started to have a very high wage. Many years later, we decided to retire and to use our pensions to retire early and travel all around the world.
Choice 1 : The Beginning of it all.
Buy a house in the suburbs.
Approximately five years after buying the house, we decided to have kids. I left my job to take care of them until they were old enough, then I came back to work at Marie's hospital. We then retired and decided to go live in a cabin close to Montreal, to stay close to our kids.
Choice 1 : The Beginning of it all.
Tell my boss to stop.
I told my boss to stop pestering the girls at my job with his excessive flirtation. Later, his misconduct caused him to be fired from the firm without a compensation package. I was then promoted to his position! I even received premium wage for a year because I helped stop the sexual harassment. Slowly, my hard work began to pay off. After only 20 years of working, I was able to take my retirement. How should I spend it?
Choice 1 : Travel all over the world.
Choice 2 : Exclude myself from society in a cabin in northern Quebec.
Do nothing and hope it will stop.
I continued to work in this toxic environment. Even if I worked extremely hard, the firm did not want to promote me. After 40 years of persevering work, I decided to retire. How should I spend my retirement?
Choice 1 : Travel all over the world.
Choice 2 : Exclude myself from society in a cabin in northern Quebec.
Travel all over the world.
My goal is to visit every country on Earth. This choice of retirement makes me feel so free. I love it!
Choice 1 : The Beginning of it all.
Exclude myself from society in a cabin in northern Quebec.
The calm of my life now is soothing. I love my life in this cabin, and my family can even come visit me. I love my retirement.
Choice 1 : The Beginning of it all.
Comments
Post a Comment